Time to First Fix (TTFF) describes the time and process required for an Apex Pod to acquire enough satellite signals to provide accurate navigational data. The word "fix" here means "position."
Various conditions can affect the TTFF, including the environment and whether the Apex pod is inside or outside or has not been used for an extended period.
Apex Pod TTFF Conditions
There are usually three categories that TTFF is split up into:
- A "cold" or "factory" start refers to a situation in which the Apex Pod must acquire all data in order to start accurate data collection. For example, if the device is brand new or has not been used for a period of 3+ months. TTFF can take up to 12 minutes and is a onetime only process once used regularly.
- A "warm" or "normal" start means the GPS has most of the data it needs in its memory and within a minute or less fixes. A warm start happens when the device has been off for a day or multiple days, but not off for so long that the data is outdated.
- "Hot" or "standby" is when the Apex Pod can get a signal quickly since it already has a valid position and correct almanac data. The device has normally been off for just a few hours to a day. This will be the most common for the Apex Pod after first usage.
More on TTFF
If your Apex Pod is new, has been turned off for a long period of time, or has been transported for a long distance since it was last turned on, it will take longer to acquire a Time to First Fix (Up to 12 minutes). This is because the GPS data is outdated and needs to download up-to-date information.
To perform this process:
- Turn the Apex Pod on.
- Place the Apex Pod in an area where it has an unobstructed clear view of the orbiting satellites in the sky (either placed on the ground facing up or placed in the vest while standing/slowly walking). Please avoid built up areas surrounded by buildings, tree’s, and overhangs as they may cause obstruction between the Apex Pod and orbiting satellites. The optimal is an open field area such as a sports field.
- Leave for 12 minutes to allow the Apex Pod enough time to acquire TTFF and after this all usages will be “Hot” or “Standby”.
- Following the 12-minute period please turn your device off and from this point onwards you will operate of a “Hot” start in 30-60 seconds. (Tip- you can delete the 12-minute session while syncing no need to download this session)